How to Handle the Stress of Being Arrested for DUI in Virginia
January 10, 2022
If you have ever had a DUI, you know just how much stress it can cause. It is also imperative that you confide in a Fairfax DUI lawyer with Rudolphi Law to help you through this process. The entire experience can also be frightening, not knowing what the outcome of your case will be, especially if this is your first time being arrested and booked.
While there are very good reasons to worry when you are facing DUI charges, there are steps that you can take to help manage some of this stress. DUI cases are harshly punished in the state of Virginia.
Tips to Manage DUI-Related Stress
During your time of dealing with a DUI case, it is important to know how to cope and take care of yourself. One of the best ways is to keep busy with instruction given by your Fairfax criminal attorney. Coping the right way can help you from becoming too overwhelmed and can help you move forward. Consider the following tips to help you on this journey:
- Avoid being too hard on yourself- Do not beat yourself up over being arrested for a DUI. Even though you made a mistake, avoid becoming overwhelmed by guilty feelings and such anger at yourself.
- Hire a lawyer- This is a given. A Fairfax traffic lawyer can give you instructions. One of the best ways to retain a DUI lawyer that is experienced is by hiring one as soon as you can following your arrest. Fairfax County DUI lawyers can explain consequences that are possible depending on your own case. Your attorney can also help answer all of your questions and help you come up with a strategy to beat any charges you are facing.
- Work on mitigating your case- A traffic lawyer Fairfax VA may give you a list of measures to take in preparation for your case in order to mitigate the situation. This can include: getting a substance abuse evaluation, doing a traffic school, community service, etc. These tasks are designed by you attorney for your specific case in an effort to mitigate and increase the likelihood of the best possible outcome. They can also help you grow from this event and improve accordingly.
- Reach out to your loved ones- You should consider reaching out to your loved ones because this is where you can gain some great support. In the process of doing so, you may even learn that one of your family or friends has also been charged with a DUI offense in the past and may be able to give you some advice. Additionally, you should steer clear of those who are not supportive or may act as a bad influence in your life.
- Exercise- If you want to reduce stress and manage your moods, consider exercising. Now is the best time to implement routine exercise into your daily life as well as include some healthy eating habits.
- Seek help from a professional- If you are becoming too depressed or anxious, consider reaching out to a mental health professional. A mental health counselor can help you cope with any bad feelings you are experiencing as well as prescribe medications if needed.
- Talk to your attorney- Feel free to talk about your stress and worries with your attorney. You will find that a traffic lawyer Fairfax VA has helped so many clients facing these same charges and has experienced if not the same, but similar feelings to yours. Your attorney may offer up some much-needed tips on how you can appropriately manage your feelings.
As soon as possible, reach out to a criminal lawyer Fairfax VA if you have been charged with a DUI in the state of Virginia. Once you retain a knowledgeable DUI attorney, you will find that he will assist you with the charges you face so you receive the best outcome on your case.